State officials announced this afternoon that 288 Illinois residents have been confirmed to be suffering from the COVID-19 coronavirus, while Evanston officials say total here now stands at 10.
That’s up from 160 statewide on Tuesday and five as of late Tuesday in the city.
At a news conference in Murphysboro in southern Illinois, Gov. J.B. Pritzker said people of ages ranging from 9 to 99 now have contracted the disease.
He said part of the increase in reported cases is a result of expanded testing, but that it is also clear that the disease is spreading.
He said his administration is continuing to use every tool at its disposal to respond to the crisis and keep people safe and that essential services — just as grocery stories, pharmacies and gas stations — will not be closing down.
The governor claimed that Illinois is being recognized as a national leader in responding to the novel coronavirus crisis, but he predicted that despite that, the number of cases in the state will get much worse before they start to get better.
As of Tuesday just 1,500 people had been tested for the disease, by today that number had grown to 2,052. Officials said no one else had died of the disease in Illinois as of today’s report, so the death toll stayed at one — a Chicago woman in her 60s whose death was reported Tuesday.
Two of the COVID-19 case in Evanston are residents of the Three Crowns Park retirement community who are now hospitalized.