Public safety and politics dominated the most-read stories on Evanston Now in October — with police saying they arrested a shotgun-toting man near a school, a police officer getting hit by a truck, a townhouse catching fire and new candidates entering city election contests.
Here’s a rundown of the top 10 stories.
- Man arrested near school with shotgun in backpack — Oct. 18 — Evanston police say an officer spotted a man walking near Nichols Middle School Monday morning with what turned out to be a loaded shotgun in his backpack.
- Police officer hit by truck — Oct. 22 — An Evanston police officer was struck by a truck near the intersection of Emerson Street and Dodge Avenue about 9:40 this morning.
- Six months and out for Red Robin — Oct. 1. — A bit like its namesake bird flying south for the winter, Red Robin Burger Works, which opened in downtown Evanston last spring is shutting its restaurant here this fall.
- EPD arrests 6 in area drug bust — Oct. 3 — Six persons were arrested by Evanston police and charged with drug violations that involved additional arrests by police in Chicago and several neighboring suburbs, according to Cmdr. Joseph Dugan of the EPD.
- Fire strikes row house on Sherman — Oct. 10 — Evanston fire units battled a blaze in a row house at 835 Sherman Ave. this afternoon.
- EPD releases photos of robbery suspects — Oct. 8 — The Evanston Police Department Saturday released surveillance photographs of three suspects sought in connection with two robberies early Friday morning near Northwestern University.
- Fourth candidate enters mayoral race — Oct. 15 — The last elected supervisor of Evanston Township wants to be the City of Evanston’s next mayor.
- Three more candidates seek city posts — Oct. 12 — Two challengers have stepped into the race for 3rd Ward alderman and one is looking to take over the city clerk’s job in Evanston in next spring’s election.
- Girl hit by brick near Fleetwood — Oct. 28 — Evanston police say a 16-year-old girl was injured when someone threw a brick that hit her in the head shortly after 7 this evening near the Fleetwood-Jourdain Recreation Center.
- City sells Howard building to lounge owners — Oct. 14 — The City of Evanston announced Friday the sale of the three-story mixed-use building at 629 Howard Street to the owners of Ward Eight Cocktail Lounge.