Evanston this weekend is experiencing the coldest weather of the winter season so far.
City officials remind residents that city buildings are available during normal operating hours for use as a place to warm up.
Exposure to cold temperatures, whether indoor or outside, can be dangerous for anyone, but particularly the elderly, infants, young children, persons with disabilities and people on medication.
The city has not declared a cold emergency. If it did, the Robert Crown Center would be used as the city’s official shelter.
If someone needs transportation to a building, and has no other way to get to that site, city workers suggest calling the non-emergency line at the Evanston Police Department, 847-866-5000 on weekends and evenings or the Department of Health and Human Services, 847-866-2969, during normal business hours.
Here’s a list of city public buildings and their hours of operation for the next few days:
- Evanston Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Avenue, 847-328-2100. Saturday, Jan. 19: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Closed Sunday, Jan. 20, and Monday, Jan. 21.
- Chandler-Newberger Center, 1028 Central St., 847-448-8252. Saturday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, Jan. 20, 8 a.m-6 p.m.; Monday, Jan. 21, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Ecology Center, 2024 McCormick Blvd., 847-448-8256. Saturday., 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.; Closed Sunday, Jan. 20 and Monday, Jan. 21.
- Fleetwood-Jourdain Center, 1655 Foster St., 847-448-8254. Saturday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.; Closed Sunday, Jan. 20 and Mon., Jan. 21.
- Levy Senior Center, 300 Dodge Ave., 847-448-8250. Saturday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Closed Mon., Jan. 21.
- Noyes Cultural Arts Center, 927 Noyes St., 847-448-8260. Saturday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Closed Monday, Jan. 21.
- Robert Crown Community Center, 1701 Main St., 847-448-8258. Saturday, Jan. 19 through Monday, Jan. 21, 7 a.m.-midnight.
- Evanston Public Library, 1703 Orrington Ave., 847-448-8600. Saturday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Sunday, 12-6 p.m., Monday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
- North Branch Library, 2026 Central St., 847-866-0330. Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Closed Sunday, Monday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
- South Branch Library, 949 Chicago Ave., 847-866-0333 .Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Closed Sunday and Monday.