The Backlot Association, a neighborhood group in northwest Evanston, captured the President’s Cup for the best group overall in Evanston’s Fourth of July Parade.
It was the third time in the last four years that the group claimed the top award, having only lost to the Windy City Miata Club in 2011, according to data released by the Evanston Fourth of July Association, sponsors of the parade
For the second year in a row, Evanston Escola de Samba took the Pelton Plaque, awarded to the outstanding neighborhood group in the parade.
The Chief Judges Award, given for special merit by the chief parade judge, was won by the Evanston Marching Kazoo Band.
Awards were given to the top three entries in each of eight categories: community float, youth, motor vehicle, invited performer, community participating, invited performer-band, community performance, and commercial.
Here is the complete list of winners in all eight categories:
1. Backlot Association
2. Wagging Hearts
3.mid-USA Falun Dafa Association
2. Cub Scout Pack 929
3. Flying Fish
1. Windy City Miata Club
2. Evanston Life and Safety
3. Illinois Regional Model A restorers Club (MARC)
1. Jesse White Tumblers
2. Illinois Wheelmen
3. Sheila Tulley Academy of Irish Dance
1. Evanston Marching Kazoo Band
2. Moms Demand Action
3. First Church if God Christian Life Center
Invited Performer – Band
1. South Shore Drill Team
2. North End Mothers Present the Pipes and Drums of the Chicago Highlanders
3. Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corp
1. Escola de Samba
2. Belizean American Dancers
3. Opening Doors
1. Duxler Auto Care
2. West End Florist and Garden Center
3. Baird and Warner Real Estate and Connections for the Homeless