State Rep. Daniel Biss of Evanston has scheduled as series of public forums on key issues facing the district and the state.
Biss, who's running in this fall's election to move up to the state Senate, says each forum will focus on a different topic and feature guest speakers from across the state.
The events will be held at 7 p.m. at the Glenview Park District’s Wagner Farm, 1510Wagner Road on the third Thursday of the month from July through December.
Here's the schedule, and a partial list of speakers:
- July 19 – Medicaid in Illinois: Recent Reforms and the New Federal Landscape. Guest: Julie Hamos, Director of the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services.
- Aug. 16 – The Long Road to Pension Reform: What is "Cost Shift" and Why Does it Matter? Guests: Erika Lindley, executive director of ED-RED, and Richard Ingram, executive director of the Teachers' Retirement System.
- Sept. 20 – Illinois' Budget Challenges: How Did We Get Here and Where Do We Go Guests: Ralph Martire, executive eirector of the Center for Tax and Budget Accountability, and Laurence Msall, president of the Civic Federation.
- Oct. 18 – Why is Your Property Tax Bill so Long: Illinois and its Many Local Governments. Guest: Christopher Berry, assistant professor in the Harris School of Public Policy Studies.
- Nov. 15 – Where We Stand: How Illinois Really Compares to Other States.
- Dec. 13 – Environmental Fair: Quick Tips on Reducing Your Footprint. Guests: Mary Allen, recycling and education director, Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County, and Debra Shore, commissioner, Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago.
For more information, call Biss’s office at 847-568-1250.