Update 6:15 p.m.: A woman is hospitalized in the intensive care unit at a local hospital as the result of a fire on Dempster Street this afternoon.
Fire Division Chief Kimberly Kull says fire crews responding to an automatic fire alarm at the Claridge Apartments at 319 Dempster St. found a middle-aged woman unresponsive in a third floor apartment. She had no pulse and was not breathing.
Kull says firefighters managed to resuscitate her as they transported her to the hospital by ambulance.
Kull says the fire, in a third floor apartment, had activated the building’s sprinkler system. Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading beyond the unit where it started and put it out within 10 minutes after arriving on the scene.
An unspecified number of other residents of the building, which is owned by the Housing Opportunities Development Corporation, were displaced by the blaze.