The City of Evanston’s Public Works Agency offers residents free removal of up to six cubic yards of bulk garbage twice per year. This spring’s bulk trash pick-ups will take place on Fridays, April 20 through May 11.
They’re scheduled based on residents’ normal refuse pick-up day. If your normal refuse collection day is:
- Monday, bulk trash pickup will be on Friday, May 11.
- Tuesday, bulk trash pickup will be Friday, April 20.
- Wednesday, bulk trash pickup will be Friday, April 27.
- Thursday, bulk trash pickup will be Friday, May 4.
Condo buildings that are serviced by Lakeshore Recycling, the city’s contracted condo trash service provider, can participate in bulk trash pick-up according to the residential schedule above based on their location. Condos that privately contract for trash and recycling services are not able to participate in the city’s bulk pick-up program. Condo residents can find out if they’re eligible by contacting their building management or by calling/texting 847-448-4311.
Bulk trash must meet the following guidelines:
- Items must be less than six cubic yards per household, which is roughly equivalent to a love seat and chair, or one mattress and box spring, or 25 medium garbage bags. Quantities that exceed six cubic yards will be tagged for a special pick-up and a fee will be assessed.
- Items must be placed on the alley line or in the parkway, whichever is the resident’s regular refuse collection area, in an orderly fashion. (For example, items must be bagged, contained or bundled. No loose garbage.) City crews will not remove items from private property.
- Absolutely no construction materials, electronics, tires, appliances or hazardous materials will be collected. Hazardous materials include batteries, gas, oil, asbestos, pesticides, medical wastes and paint.
- Glass should be broken up, boxed, taped and labeled as glass.
Crews will only remove bulk items; no garbage carts will be emptied.