Evanston’s fall free bulk garbage pickup program starts next week. The pickups, of up to six cubic yards of trash, will happen on Fridays, starting Sept. 16.
Residents whose normal trash pickup day is Monday will get bulk pickup on Sept. 16. Tuesday routes will be picked up Sept. 23, Wednesday routes on Sept. 30 and Thursday routes on Oct. 7.
All bulk trash must be out by 7 a.m. If crews are unable to complete routes on Fridays, collection will continue on Saturdays.
Residents who need to have more than six cubic yards of trash removed should call 311 to request a fee-based special pickup.
- Trash to be removed must be less than six cubic yards per household. That is roughly equivalent to two couches or four chairs or one mattress and box spring, or 25 medium garbage bags. Quantities that exceed six cubic yards will be tagged for a special pick-up and a fee will be assessed.
- Trash must be placed out in an orderly fashion, i.e. bagged, contained or bundled, no loose garbage. Crews cannot go on private property.
- No hazardous materials will be collected, including batteries, gas, oil, asbestos, medical wastes, paint, etc.
- Glass should be broken up, boxed, taped and labeled as glass.
- Items must be placed on the alley line or parkway by 7 a.m. Crews will not remove items from private property.
- No construction material will be picked up.
- No tires or appliances will be picked up. Please call 3-1-1 to arrange for the free removal of these items.
- Crews will only remove bulk items; no garbage carts will be emptied.