Next week is Burn Awareness Week nationwide, and the Evanston Fire Department is offering residents some tips to avoid painful and devastating burn injuries.
- Keep children at least 3 feet away from hot appliances, pots and pans
- Set home water heater thermostats no higher than 120 degrees
- When cooking, use back burners and keep pot handles turned toward the back of the stove
- Use spill-resistant mugs when drinking hot liquids around children
- Learn how to prevent and extinguish a small pan fire
- Wear short sleeves or roll up your sleeves before you start to cook. This will keep your clothes from catching fire.