Eight people were taken to local hospitals this morning after fire crews responded to a report of a carbon monoxide alarm going off in a two-family home at 1404 Pitner Ave. in Evanston

The call was received about 7:18 a.m. from a resident of the home who heard the alarm going off.

Fire Division Chief Paul Polep says when firefighters arrived they found carbon monoxide readings of 200 parts per million.

Typically, Polep says, a home CO detector would go off at a level of about 35 ppm.

Some of of the residents of the building complained of headaches, a common symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning, and so were taken to the hospitals for evaluation.

Those taken to St. Francis and Evanston hospitals included three adults and five children. All are now said to be in stable condition.

Building and fire inspectors are on the scene now along with a crew from the gas company.

Polep says it hasn’t been determined yet what caused the carbon monoxide buildup.

Bill Smith is the editor and publisher of Evanston Now.

Leave a comment

The goal of our comment policy is to make the comments section a vibrant yet civil space. Treat each other with respect — even the people you disagree with. Whenever possible, provide links to credible documentary evidence to back up your factual claims.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *