(EFD photo)

Evanston fire officials say 11 people required medical attention Sunday afternoon after an apparently faulty furnace caused a carbon monoxide buildup at the Mount Pisgah Ministry at 1813-1815 Church St.

Fire Division Chief Kimberly Kull says firefighters were initially called for a report of an unresponsive toddler at the church about 12:40 p.m. When they arrived, they detected carbon monoxide levels of over 500 parts per million in the building.

That’s about 10 times the maximum level considered safe for workers by the federal Occupational Health and Safety Administration

Kull says six patients were transported to local area hospitals with the other five refusing transport. All patients transported were in stable condition.

She says initial reports indicate the carbon monoxide leak originated from the furnace. Further investigation is being conducted by NICOR to rule out additional sources of carbon monoxide.

A second level ambulance box alarm was called to bring seven additional ambulances into town. The extra equipment and personnel from neighboring municipalities helped provide City of Evanston station coverage and assist Evanston Fire Department personnel with patient treatment and transportation.

As the cold weather season arrives, Kull says community members should have their heating units serviced and be sure carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are working properly.

Bill Smith is the editor and publisher of Evanston Now.