A leaked document purporting to be the packet for a City Council executive session says City Clerk Devon Reid intimidated a clerk’s office employee over the worker’s desire to join a city union.
It also says the clerk used misogynistic terms to describe the city’s corporation counsel in conversations with other city employees.
And it alleges that Reid has violated official misconduct provisions of state law by:
- surrepticiously recording conversations with aldermen and other city employees,
- disclosing closed-session City Council discussions to his former campaign manager,
- attempting without authority to record closed-session council discussions concerning his lawsuit against the city,
- disclosing privileged and confidential city documents to third parties, and
- mishandling the city’s closed session recordings.
It also alleges that he violated the Illinois Public Labor Relations Act by retaliating against the clerk’s office employee for trying to gain union protection.
It further claims that Reid violated the Illinois Human Rights Act by giving the clerk’s office employee a tape to transcribe that contained a recording of a sexually-explicit conversation between Reid and an unknown third party and by expressing an anti-female animus against the city’s corporation counsel by referring to her as a “cuck” and a “bitch.”
The document was published today by activist Misty Witenberg, a Reid supporter, on her EvanstonLeads website.
Council tables motion to censure clerk (7/16/19)