A shocking shooting on Howard Street and a wave of catalytic converter thefts were among the most-read stories on Evanston Now in January, along with reports from the campaign trail and the ongoing impact of the pandemic.
Here’s a rundown of the top 10:
- Gunman dead, woman critically injured — Jan. 9 — Evanston police say a gunman took a woman hostage at the IHOP at Howard and Asbury around 5:40 p.m. Saturday and then shot her multiple times before fleeing across Howard Street where he exchanged gunfire with Evanston police who fatally shot him.
- Callan Avenue woman charged with child endangerment — Dec. 21 — A 24-year-old Callan Avenue woman was arrested by Evanston police and charged with child endangerment.
- Two robberies in daylight hours — Jan. 15 — A 37-year-old woman was knocked down, and her purse was taken. A 23-year-old man lost $500 he had just withdrawn from an ATM.
- Mayoral forum: Lots of agreement, and a few zingers — Jan. 19 — Candidates try to present themselves as best prepared to lead Evanston.
- Food delivery man fights off attacker — Jan. 22 — A robber tried to hijack a food delivery man’s 2015 Toyota at Seward Street and Sherman Avenue, but he met resistance as the victim yelled for police and was assisted by a neighbor, who called the cops.
- 24 apartments proposed for 2030 Greenwood — Jan. 16 — Project would require rezoning and three variations.
- 12 more catalytic converters stolen — Jan. 8 — Evanston police reported 12 more thefts of catalytic converters this week, most of them on Toyotas, and would welcome a call if you think you see such a theft in progress,
- Biss has huge early lead in mayoral fundraising — Jan. 8 — Daniel Biss has built up a huge lead in fundraising for Evanston’s mayoral election.
- You’ve likely got a long wait for your COVID shots — Jan. 5 — Latest data from the federal Centers for Disease Control suggests most Evanston residents still have a long wait ahead before they get their COVID-19 vaccine shots.
- Orrington reopening delayed — hotel outlook remains grim — Jan. 25 — Reopening of the Hilton Orrington hotel in downtown Evanston has been delayed, and there are now questions about the long-term ownership and operation of the property.