Now in its 13th year, It's Thursday, Let’s Dance! will heat up downtown Evanston on six consecutive Thursday nights this summer.
The only outdoor dance floor north of Chicago is at the 909 Davis St. Plaza, located at Maple Avenue and Church Street, next to the Davis St. Metra stop.
Each evening will feature dance instruction from 6 to 6:45 p.m. followed by live music and dancing from 7 to 9 p.m.
The seriese spotlights a different dance style each Thursday with musical genres including: Reggae, Latin, Swing, Jazz and Big Band. It's a free event and all ages are welcome. For complete details visit www.downtownevanston.org.
Carolyn Dellutri, executive director of Downtown Evanston, which presents the dance series says it's a fun way to spend a Thursday evening after dining or shopping downtown.
Here's the schedule:
- June 21 – Afinca’o — Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, and all rhythms Latin.
- June 28 – Lil’ Ricki and The Licorice Sticks Dance Band — Big band, Jazz, Swing, Blues & Pop.
- July 5 – Unity — Rhythmic & rolling beats of Reggae.
- July 12 – The Shirley King Band — Sweet home Chicago blues and R&B in the family tradition of B.B. King.
- July 19 – The Flat Cats — Hot swing, jazz, contemporary classics and timeless standards.
- July 26 – The Associates – The premiere Motown and variety band of the Midwest.