The Downtown Evanston Farmers Market opens for its 46th season on Saturday, May 1, with modifications designed to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The market will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday through Nov. 6, at University Place and Oak Avenue, behind the Hilton Garden Inn.
The market will open early for senior and disabled shoppers from 7 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. Free parking is available in the Maple Avenue Garage with ticket validation at the City of Evanston tent.
Each week, up to 60 vendors will sell a variety of goods, including fruits, vegetables, meat, flowers, cheese, milk, eggs, baked goods and more. LINK cards are accepted at the market. LINK customers will be able to receive a match of up to $25 per Saturday.
Live animals and pets, other than service animals, are not allowed at the market.
To ensure the health and safety of shoppers, vendors and staff, the City’s Health and Human Services Department has provided guidelines to be followed at the market during the COVID-19 pandemic, and the City will implement operational changes, including:
- Face coverings will be required for all vendors and shoppers.
- Traffic control measures will be implemented. Entrances and exits will be defined, and the market will be remapped to facilitate physical distancing among customers and vendors. Crowds will be monitored and attendees limited by market staff.
- No Touch Market – Produce and products will be handled by vendors only until the point of sale.
- Pre-ordering online will be encouraged. Customers paying at pickup will be directed to pass their payment to the vendor using a box or tray to eliminate hand-to-hand contact. Vendors are encouraged to offer contactless payment options. Visit cityofevanston.org/market to view a list of vendors.
- Reusable bags will not be handled by market vendors.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be available at the market entrance and exit.
- Food consumption will not be allowed on site. Please take your food items outside the immediate market before consuming. Free samples will not be provided until further notice.
- Live music and activities will not be offered at the market until further notice. Spud Club children’s activities will not be provided until further notice.