Evanston police say tonight the Northwestern student found dead in his dorm room around noon on Tuesday had participated in an alcohol drinking party in the dorm the night before.
Police say fellow students helped Matthew S. Sunshine back to his room after the party. The students also reporteldy checked back on him during the night and reported he was sleeping fine.
But when a student checked on him again about 11:45 a.m., police said, Sunshine was unresponsive. Police and paramedics were called to the scene, but were unable to revive him.
A Cook County Medical Examiner’s office spokesman says an autopsy today determined that Sunshine died of accidental alcohol poisoning.
Police Commander Tom Guenther says the investigation remains open and that police are awaiting a full toxicology report from the medical examiner’s office.
Sunshine was a freshman in the School of Education and Social Policy from Cold Spring Harbor, NY.
For reference: NU Residence Hall alcohol policy
Residence Hall Policies
Consumption and possession of alcohol is prohibited by anyone under the age of 21 years.
Students who are 21 years of age or older may consume alcohol in the privacy of their rooms with others over the age of 21 years as long as the event does not become public and the number of people in the room does not exceed double the occupancy (e.g., four people in a double room).
Students living in healthy living units are not permitted to consume alcohol in their rooms regardless of age.
No alcohol is permitted in any residence hall or fraternity/sorority houses during New Student Week.
Kegs are prohibited from all residence halls and fraternity/sorority houses.
Students under the age of 21 may not consume, possess, or be in the presence of alcohol in undergraduate residence halls and/or fraternity/sorority houses.
Find out more about Brummel Park Neighbors and Michele Hays
Leave a comment