About 500 community residents are expected to attend the free Evanston150 Community Kick-Off Rally from Noon to 2 p.m. today at the Levy Senior Center, 300 Dodge Ave.
The public will receive Evanston150 visioning brainstorm toolkits and get an overview of Evanston150 — grassroots initiative to engage the entire community in envisioning 10 big ideas that would make the city a better place to live, work and play in honor of Evanston's 150th anniversary in 2013.
Attendees will also enjoy a taste of Evanston restaurants including Andy's Frozen Custard, Casteel Coffee, Dave's Italian Kitchen, Whole Foods, Wild Dogz Gyros and Wings Over Evanston, children's activities and performances.
Here's a schedule for the event:
- 12:15 p.m. – Emcee Bill Campbell interviews Evanston150 Steering Committee Member Sara Schastok from the Evanston Community Foundation.
- 12:20 p.m. – Evanston North Shore Community Choir performs.
- 12:55 p.m. – Bill Campbell interviews Steering Committee Member Karen Mosby-Avery from Second Baptist Church.
- 1 p.m. – Tierra y Luz De Mexico Dancers perform.
- 1:35 p.m. – Bill Campbell interviews Steering Committee Members Eden Juron Pearlman from the Evanston History Center and DinoRobinson from Shorefront.
- 1:40 p.m. – McGaw YMCA's Brillianteen performs a song from The Wiz.
- 1:55 p.m. – Entire Evanston150 Steering Committee on Stage.
Throughout the Community Rally there will be drop-in brainstorming sessions, music by an Evanston Township High School Jazz Combo, and children's activities hosted by staff members of the School for Little Children.