fire-efd-stock-vignette-2814-harrison-fire-smoke-20150320_161405

Evanston fire officials say a fire last night gutted a ranch-style home in the 1500 block of Cleveland Street.

Deputy Chief Paul Polep says the blaze apparently began in the kitchen of the home and firefighters from Engine 24, based about five blocks from the fire scene, found heavy smoke and fire conditions in the front of the building when they arrived just three minutes after the call was dispatched at 7:37 p.m.

He says the four members of the family living in the home had been alerted to the blaze by smoke detectors and managed to get out of the house without injury.

But the house was so severely damaged that they had to find another place to stay, with assistance from the Red Cross.

All Evanston fire companies responded to the scene and there were no reports of injuries to firefighters.

Bill Smith is the editor and publisher of Evanston Now.

Leave a comment

The goal of our comment policy is to make the comments section a vibrant yet civil space. Treat each other with respect — even the people you disagree with. Whenever possible, provide links to credible documentary evidence to back up your factual claims.

Your email address will not be published.