Quantcast

Fire hits home on Mulford

A fire struck an Evanston resident’s home Thursday night, causing $15,000 in damage and burning a hole through the roof, authorities said.

A fire struck an Evanston resident’s home Thursday night, causing $15,000 in damage and burning a hole through the roof, authorities said.

The owner of the house, 1522 Mulford St., called the fire department and said she smelled smoke at 8:42 p.m., Evanston Fire Chief Alan Berkowsky said. When firefighters arrived, the residents had moved outside and smoke billowed from the house’s eaves and attic.

Firefighters then entered the house and climbed into the attic, where they saw a heavy fire burning at the rear of the house, Berkowsky said. They put the fire out by 9 p.m.

The house’s attic fan caused the fire, Berkowsky said. There were no injuries.

A fire in the attic of this single-family home burned a hole through the roof, which is now covered with a tarp.

Editors’ Picks