2224-grant-20180629-img_6219

Three people at home when a fire broke out at 2224 Grant St. in Evanston about 1:30 p.m. today managed to get out of the house safely.

Evanston firefighters called to the scene found heavy smoke on the second floor of the home and also in the basement.


Firefighters entering the basement.

But no flames were visible outside the building.

Units from Wilmette and Skokie initially responded to a request for extra units, but they were released not long after they arrived.

Fire officials say the fire started in a bathroom of the home and they were able to extinguish it quickly.


Update 3:10 p.m.: Fire Division Chief Paul Polep says the fire apparently started after someone in the home put ashes from burned incense into a garbage can — where they reignited.

He says firefighters were able to extinguish the fire with a couple of pump cans.

He says a girl who initially feared she was trapped inside the home by the smoke was persuaded to come out by her parents. She was checked by paramedics at the scene for possible smoke inhalation, but was determined to be OK.

Even the family cat reportedly was rescued unharmed.

Bill Smith is the editor and publisher of Evanston Now.

Leave a comment

The goal of our comment policy is to make the comments section a vibrant yet civil space. Treat each other with respect — even the people you disagree with. Whenever possible, provide links to credible documentary evidence to back up your factual claims.

Your email address will not be published.