The City of Evanston late this afternoon declared a heat emergency in the city — opening a number of cooling centers that people without air conditioning can go to to get out of the heat.
The Robert Crown Center at 1701 Main St. will be open until heat emergency is no longer in effect.
Several other centers have more limited hours:
- The Levy Senior Center at 300 Dodge Ave. will be open until 9 p.m.
- The Fleetwood-Jourdain Center at 1655 Foster St. will be open until 7p.m.
- The Noyes Cultural Arts Center at 927 Noyes St. will be open until 7 p.m.
If the emergency continues into tomorrow, two other centers will also be of use:
- The Chandler-Newberger Center at 1028 Central St., which is open until 6 p.m.
- The Ecology Center at 2024 McCormick Blvd., which is open until 4:30 p.m.
Update 6:50 a.m. 7/24/10: The heat emergency is automatically lifted whenever the heat index drops below 90 degrees, which it did within two or three hours after the emergency declaration was issued.