sparkle-extinguisher-img_2024

Evanston firefighters sounded a general alarm to respond to reports of smoke at Sparkle Cleaners at 2104 Central St. about 8 o’clock this evening.

They found some smoke coming from the rear of the building — caused apparently by some clothing that had caught fire.

The business was closed, and firefighters had to break through the glass front door to get into the cleaning and tailor shop.

Firefighters climb onto the roof of the Paper Source store, next door to the cleaners, to check for possible damage.

Central Street was blocked by fire units for close to an hour, providing a source of curiosity for diners out for an after-dinner stroll.

Firefighters used a fan to blow smoke through the shop and out the large back door.

Bill Smith is the editor and publisher of Evanston Now.

Leave a comment

The goal of our comment policy is to make the comments section a vibrant yet civil space. Treat each other with respect — even the people you disagree with. Whenever possible, provide links to credible documentary evidence to back up your factual claims.

Your email address will not be published.