fire-engine-rough-pastelsim

A smoke detector alerted a nanny to a fire in the basement of a home at 1713 Dempster St. in Evanston about 4:30 this afternoon.

Fire officials say she managed to flee the home with the 7-year-old child she was caring for while calling 911.

Evanston fire crews managed to quickly extinguish the fire, which had started in a clothes dryer and spread to nearby cabinets.

Fire Division Chief Dwight Hohl says fire crews responding to the scene received a report that someone might be trapped in the structure, but a search determined that every one in the home had gotten out safely.

Bill Smith is the editor and publisher of Evanston Now.

Leave a comment

The goal of our comment policy is to make the comments section a vibrant yet civil space. Treat each other with respect — even the people you disagree with. Whenever possible, provide links to credible documentary evidence to back up your factual claims.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *