Now in its 14th year, "It's Thursday, Let’s Dance!" will heat up downtown Evanston on six Thursday nights this summer.
The only outdoor dance floor north of Chicago is located at the 909 Davis St. Plaza, at the intersection of Maple Avenue and Church Street — between American Apparel and Chef’s Station’s outdoor patio.
Each week features dance instruction from 6 to 6:45 p.m. followed by live music and dancing from 7 to 9 p.m.
In celebration of this year's 150th anniversary of the city of Evanston, each week the dance instruction period will feature a dance dating back 150 years.
Each Thursday will spotlight a different dance style with musical genres including: Reggae, Latin, Swing, Jazz and Big Band.
The event is free and all ages are welcome.
More information is available on the Downtown Evanston website.
Carolyn Dellutri, executive director of Downtown Evanston, said the program "is a fun way to spend a Thursday evening after dining in one of our many excellent restaurants or shopping in our downtown.”
In addition to Downtown Evanston sponsors include: Buffalo Wild Wings, Chef’s Station, North Shore University HealthSystem, Northwestern University, Uncle Dan’s, Visiting Angels and Whole Foods.
Here's the line up:
- June 20 – Afinca’o – Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, and all rhythms Latin
- June 27 – Bopology – Chicago’s favorite swing, jazz, Frank Sinatra and jump-blues band
- July 11 – The Shirley King Band – Sweet home Chicago blues and R&B in the family tradition of B.B. King
- July 18 – The Associates – The premiere Motown and variety band of the Midwest
- July 25 – Unity – Rhythmic and rolling beats of Reggae
- Aug. 1 – The Flat Cats – Hot swing, jazz, contemporary classics and timeless standards.