Evanston police say they’re investigating the death of a Northwestern University student found dead in a campus residence hall today.
Police say they were called to the Foster House dorm at 2253 Sheridan Road shortly after noon today, where they found the body of a student identified as Matthew S. Sunshine in his dorm room.
(Update 6/11/08: A Cook County Medical Examiner’s office spokesman says an autopsy today determined that Sunshine died of accidental alcohol poisoning. Evanston police reportedly are continuing their investigation of the incident.)
William J. Banis, the university’s vice president for student affairs, identified the victim as a freshman in the School of Education and Social Policy from Cold Spring Harbor, NY.
In a message posted on the university website, Banis said, “On behalf of the University, I extend our deepest sympathies to Matthew’s family and to his fellow students and friends here at Northwestern. The loss of any one member of our community affects us all.”
Banis said members of the school’s counseling and psychological services staff and the university chaplain’s office would be available at Foster House this evening.
Update on NU student
The Daily Northwestern is reporting that this is alcohol related.
Leave a comment