Northwestern President Morton Schapiro ranks 17th on a list of the top-paid university presidents in the nation.
The Chronicle of Higher Education compiled the list from federal tax returns filed by the schools.
Schapiro, who earned more than $1.25 million, was topped in the local area only by University of Chicago President Robert Zimmer, who made nearly $1.6 million.
Income figures for other Chicago-area college presidents include:
- Dennis Holtschneider of DePaul University, $816,608.
- Michael Viollt of Robert Morris University, $808,576.
- John Anderson of Illinois Institute of Technology, $672,245.
- Warrick Carter of Columbia College Chicago, $629,449.
- Charles Middleton of Roosevelt University, $602,503