About a dozen people turned out at twilight Friday evening on the Chase Bank plaza in Fountain Square for an Occupy Evanston protest.
It was the third of four Occupy events in the city Friday. The day began at noon with an estimated 75 people picketing a speech on the Northwestern campus by House Majority Leader Eric Cantor.
The protestors said Cantor speaks only for the richest 1 percent of Americans, while the demonstrators were speaking for the other 99 percent.
About two dozen protestors later held what was billed as a teach-in on Deering Meadow along Sheridan Road, and the day was scheduled to wrap up with a session on the plaza at Church Street and Maple Avenue to plan future events.
U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, in Evanston earlier Friday to tour a federally-funded housing rehabilitation project, said many of the Occupy protesters demands — whether in Evanston or on Wall Street — still seem unclear.
But he said he shares their concerns about income inequality and income insecurity for working families and the impact of financial institutions and their lobbyists on political decision-making in Washington.