Results are in from the "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over" holiday crackdown on intoxicated drivers and drivers who use handheld cell phones or fail to buckle up.
From Dec. 20 to Jan 5, Evanston Police stopped and arrested one drunk driver who had blood alcohol concentrations over the legal limit and issued a total of 69 traffic citations:
- 30 Seatbelt violations
- 1 Failure to Secure Child in a Safety Belt
- 1 Felony Driving Under the Influence
- 15 Distriacted Driver Cell Phone Violations
- 7 Excess Speed
- 2 Operating a Vehicle on a Suspended License
- 1 Citation for Possession of Open Alcohol in a Vehicle
- 8 Other Minor Traffic Violations
- 1 No Valid Insurance
One juvenile was cited under city ordinance for possession of cannabis, possession of alcohol by a minor and possession of drug paraphernalia.
The traffic crackdown was funded by federal traffic safety funds through the Illinois Department of Transportation.