The Evanston Police Department has announced temporary service reductions due to the COVID-19 coronavirus.
Cmd. Brian Henry says that until further notice the department will not provide any of the following services:
- Citizen Police Academy meetings or classes.
- Police ride-alongs and station tours.
- Walk-in requests for police records and reports. They instead will be available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and including a photo ID.
- Walk in desk reports. Such requests instead should be made by calling 847-866-5000.
- Public fingerprinting services not associated with an arrest.
- Public presentations including at ward and community meetings.
- Child car seat installation and inspections.
- Crime prevention security surveys.
- Medication disposal for the public.
- Bicycle registration.
In addition, property pick-up will be handled by appointment only by calling 847-866-5029.
To practice social distancing and reduce the spread of the virus, Henry says, the station lobby door has been locked and a phone and intercom is in place for communication.
He says the department will continue to respond to emergency calls for service and officers will be out on the streets of Evanston actively patrolling.