Real estate sales in Evanston surged in April to their highest level in nearly two years.
Revenue from the city's 0.5 percent tax on property sales rose to $275,644, the highest one-month total since July 2011.
Transfer tax revenue for the year so far, though, still lags the city's budget forecast by 11 percent — as a result of slow sales in the first quarter.
The transfer tax numbers include large commercial properties as well as single-family homes, so they cna show big month-to-month swings if the relatively rare sale of a large commercial property happens in a given month.
Seven properties sold for over $1 million in Evanston last month. The biggest transaction, at $3.54 million, involved the commercial building at 1633-35 Chicago Ave. that houses a PNC Bank branch and Dave's Italian Kitchen. It was sold by 1633 Chicago LLC to Chicago-Davis Development LLC.
The other big-ticket sales involved single-family homes:
- 208 Hamilton St. sold for $1.6 million.
- 699 Sheridan Road changed hands for $1.3 million.
- 414 Church St. went for $1.299 million.
- 3025 Normandy Place found a new owner for $1.045 million.
- 1221 Himan Ave. sold for $1.04 million.
- 2130 Orrington Ave. went for $1.015 million.