A rash of shootings — including a mid-morning murder by a gun-wielding motorcyclist on McCormick — were among the stories Evanston Now readers read most in July.
But they also learned of dining options coming and going and the loss in a bicyle accident of a beloved librarian.
- Gunman on motorcycle shoots, kills motorist – July 22 – Skokie and Evanston police are investigating after a gunman riding a motorcycle and dressed all in black shot a motorist at the intersection of Oakton Street and McCormick Boulevard about 9:45 this morning.
- Evanston man shot on Dodge – July 8 – Police say a 21-year-old Evanston man was shot in the leg at 2040 Dodge Ave. just before 1 p.m. today.
- Librarian hurt in bike crash dies – July 2 – An Evanston Public Library children’s librarian, Gigi Galich, who was critically injured when the bicycle she was riding collided with a motorcycle in front of the library Monday morning, has died.
- Buffalo Wild Wings to fly away – July 8 – The owner of the Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant on Maple Avenue in downtown Evanston is planning to fly the coop to Old Orchard.
- Shooting victim no stranger to guns – July 23 – The man pronounced dead at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston Tuesday after being shot by a motorcyclist on McCormick Boulevard in Skokie had been involved in a wild lakefront chase with police in Evanston two years ago.
- Two shot on Emerson – July 21 – Evanston Police are investigating a shooting in an alley off the 1900 block of Emerson Street about 7:25 p.m. this evening.
- Police seek to locate missing teen girl – July 28 – Police are attempting to locate a juvenile — 15-year-old Alishianna Harris of Evanston — reported missing and last seen Thursday.
- New home for Lulu’s, Taco Diablo up for approval – July 13 – Plans for a new building to house revivals of two well-known Evanston restaurants are up for review by the city’s Planning and Development Committee Monday night.
- Makes a wrong turn, gets shot on Custer – July 2 – A 19-year-old Chicago woman made a wrong turn on Custer Avenue early today and ended up getting shot in the leg, Evanston police reported.
- New supermarket coming to Evanston Plaza – July 9 – An owner of Arlington Heights-based Valli Produce Inc. says his firm plans to take over the shuttered Dominick’s store in the Evanston Plaza shopping center.