Quantcast

Some fire victims return home

Evanston fire officials say some of the dozens of people forced to leave their homes after a apartment house fire at 612 Sheridan Road have now been able to return.


Evanston fire officials say some of the dozens of people forced to leave their homes after a apartment house fire at 612 Sheridan Road have now been able to return.

Fire Division Chief Tom Janetske says power and heat has been restored to the building at 612 Sheridan Road and only the residents of the six units that were directly affected by the fire and smoke damage from the blaze are still unable to return to their units.

Janetske says fire department and insurance company investigators now believe the fire was caused by a fault in electrical wiring in the building. But the exact cause has not yet been determined.

He said the building did have numerous battery-powered smoke detectors. "We found plenty of them melted off the ceiling," Janetske says, although he couldn’t be certain whether all of them had working batteries.

Janetske said damage from the blaze is estimated at $600,000. It’s uncertain how long it will be before the damaged units can be reoccupied.

Editors’ Picks