City officials have extended free parking in Evanston’s three downtown garages though Sunday night at midnight as the second snow storm in a week arrives in town.
They say the garages are only about half full now and can accommodate many more cars.
The city is also asking for voluntary compliance with snow route parking restrictions overnight — from 11 p.m. tonight through 6 a.m. Friday.
If the downtown garages aren’t convenient, there are a variety of other options for getting your car off the street for the next few days.
Free parking is also available in the AMITA Health St. Francis parking garage through Sunday.
And the city is offering free parking in several surface parking lots until midnight on Sunday. Those are:
- Lot 16, 800/900 Noyes St. at the CTA tracks
- Lot 24, 727 Main St.
- Lot 54, Central Street Metra Station
- Lot 27, 1621 Oak Ave.
- Lot 68, 700 block of Howard St.
- Lot 4, Central Street at Stewart Avenue (metered spaces only)
- Lot 51, 927 Noyes St. (metered spaces only)
- Lot 25, 1614 Maple Ave. (metered spaces only)
- James Park, between the west field house and the hill, as well as the south lot near the CTA tracks, but not the Levy Center parking lot.
Free parking is also available at all Evanston/Skokie School District 65 school parking lots through Sunday.
And daytime parking is available on main thoroughfares posted as Snow Routes. In addition, parking meters and pay boxes will not be enforced in the following locations through Sunday night:
- Custer Avenue, between Main and Washington
- Washington Street, between Chicago and Custer
- Madison Street, between Chicago and Custer
But parking meters, pay stations and mobile pay zones continue to be enforced.