A report of a penny misplaced at the police department turned out to be the story readers read most on Evanston Now this year. Read on to find out what other stories they most hungered for.
Here's a rundown of the top 10:
- Misplaced penny brings reprimand at EPD -- May 5 -- It all started last November, police say, when a suspect in an arson investigation was seen using something to scratch the wall of his cell at the Evanson police station.
- Body found at Jewel parkig lot -- Oct. 2 -- Evanston police this morning are investigating the discovery of a body in the Jewel/Osco parking lot at 1128 Chicago Ave.
- Skokie restaurateur has plans for two Evanston sites -- Sept. 25 -- The co-owner for the past eight years of the Skokie restaurant Libertad has plans to open two new restaurants in Evanston -- including one in the city-owned former Cafe Coralie space at 633 Howard St.
- Two downtown shops closing -- Dec. 23 -- This will be the last holiday shopping season for two stores in the 1700 block of Sherman Avenue in downtown Evanston.
- City reaches settlement in police lawsuit -- Jan. 18 -- The City of Evanston has reached a settlement in a lawsuit filed by Lawrence Crosby, a Northwestern University graduate student stopped, tackled and arrested by police after a 911 caller claimed he'd stolen what turned out to be his own car.
- New restaurant to open in Pete Miller's space -- Nov. 10 -- Less than three months after Pete Miller's Restaurant closed on Sherman Avenue in downtown Evanston, the building's owners have signed a lease with a new restaurant tenant for the space.
- Change of name for downtown watering hole -- April 22 -- The signs were being changed today at 1601 Sherman Ave. in downtown Evanston as World of Beer became the Evanston Pub.
- Police search leads to school lockdown -- May 8 -- Evanston police have two suspects in custody after shots were fired in the 2100 block of Dewey Avenue around mid-afternoon today.
- New breakfast sport planned on Church Street -- Nov. 27 -- The long-vacant downtown Evanston storefront at 812 Church St. in the Sherman Plaza development should soon become a new breakfast and lunch dining spot.
- Fire strikes laundromat on Dodge -- June 20 -- Evanston firefighters fought a major fire in a multi-tenant retail building on the sourthwest corner of Dodge Avenue and Main Street this evening.