The Fourth of July will be filled with activities in Evanston.
Here’s the schedule:
- Family sports events are held from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Elks Park, Lincolnwood and Willard schools and Robert Crown Center, as well as from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Fleetwood-Jourdain Center.
- The finals of the citywide tennis tournament are held from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Ackerman Park, Central Street at McDaniel Avenue.
- The parade starts at 2 p.m. at Central Street and Central Park Avenue and travels east on Central to Ryan Field at Ashland Avenue.
- The Palatine Concert Band performs from 7:30 to 9 p.m. at Dawes Park, Sheridan Road at Church Street.
- Fireworks begin at 9:15 p.m. and are choreographed to music broadcast on 90.5FM. Fireworks can be viewed from most lakefront parks and beaches.
Activities are provided by the Evanston Fourth of July Association, a non-profit organization of volunteers, which depends on contributions. To contribute or volunteer, or for more info. call 847-637-5236 or visit www.evanston4th.org.
Top: A marching unit from the 2010 parade.