Here’s a look back at the 10 stories Evanston Now readers read most during 2014.
1. Evanston man shot on Dodge — July 8 — Police say a 21-year-old Evanston man was shot in the leg at 2040 Dodge Ave. just before 1 p.m. today.
2. Retired ETHS dean, pro football player, dies — Dec. 10 — Retired Evanston Township High School Dean of Students Mike Wynn has died.
3. Gunman on motorcycle shoots, kills motorist — July 22 — Skokie and Evanston police are investigating after a gunman riding a motorcycle and dressed all in black shot a motorist at the intersection of Oakton Street and McCormick Boulevard about 9:45 this morning.
4. Sports manager dies at McGaw YMCA — June 28 — Steven King, sports and family manager for the McGaw YMCA in Evanston, collapsed while working-out at the Y Friday evening and died despite emergency aid by YMCA staff, paramedics and hospital staff.
5. Major fire at North Shore Towing — Aug. 31 — A major fire at the North Shore Towing yard on Oakton Street sent black smoke pouring over Evanston this afternoon.
Smoke pours over Home Depot from the North Shore Towing fire next door.
6. Street closures planned for Obama visit — Sept. 30 — Several Evanston streets will be closed from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday in connection with President Obama’s visit to the Northwestern University campus.
7. Downtown hobby store moving after 49 years — June 3 — Tom Thumb Hobbies & Crafts is leaving Evanston after nearly a half century in business here.
Students line the halls during sit-down protest at ETHS.
8. ETHS students protest police killings — Dec. 16 — Evanston Township High School officials say most students, teachers and staff took part in a student-led demonstration this morning over incidents in which police have killed unarmed civilians they were trying to arrest.
9. One dead, one hurt in early morning shootings — June 28 — A 22-year-old man was found dying of gunshot wounds behind the steering wheel of his car in Evanston early this morning and less than three hours later another man was shot and wounded nearby.
10. Librarian hurt in bike crash dies — July 2 — An Evanston Public Library children’s librarian, Gigi Galich, who was critically injured when the bicycle she was riding collided with a motorcycle in front of the library Monday morning, has died.