Two men were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning after falling ill while working at a home in the 1700 block of Washington Street this afternoon.

Fire Division Chief Dwight Hohl says both men were given advanced life support care by paramedics who responded to the call about 2 p.m. and were transported to Presence Saint Francis Hospital, where they are in stable condition.

Hohl says investigators found carbon monoxide readings of approximately 450 parts per million in the basement of the home at 1731 Washington St. where the men were working and levels of 150 ppm on the second floor.

The residents who were at home at the time of exposure were evaluated and advised to seek further medical evaluation. Evanston Fire personnel ventilated the building and worked with the City’s Building & Inspection Services Division to ensure the safety of the residents.

Hohl says anyone working with gas-powered equipment should take necessary safety precautions — wearing a respiratory mask to guard against dust particles and providing adequate ventilation to reduce the chance of a build-up of carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that is a product of incomplete combustion of organic matter. It is toxic to humans and animals when encountered in high concentrations.

Bill Smith is the editor and publisher of Evanston Now.

Leave a comment

The goal of our comment policy is to make the comments section a vibrant yet civil space. Treat each other with respect — even the people you disagree with. Whenever possible, provide links to credible documentary evidence to back up your factual claims.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *